Spending time in quarantine or isolation this fall probably isn’t *quite* the picture you have as you pack up and start heading to Oxford. But trust us on this one: it’s definitely wise to plan ahead and be ready for these very real possibilities.
So first thing’s first. What’s the difference between quarantine and isolation? Here’s a little trick to remember the difference with an alliteration:
- Isolation: Illness. In this situation, you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 (whether you are symptomatic or asymptomatic).
- Quarantine: Question. In this situation, there is a “question” of whether or not you have COVID. Typically, you will be notified by Butler County General Health District or the Office of the Dean of Students if you need to quarantine.
If you live on campus and you are diagnosed with COVID-19, you will have to enter immediately into isolation and will not be able to return to your room. For quarantine you will have a little more time to prepare, but will still need to move very quickly. So, we recommend packing a “Go Bag” – a bag full of essential items you’ll need to recover alone in a residence hall room (that’s not your regular room) for 10 – 14 days. You should actually take your Go Bag with you to your Student Health Services appointment, in case you are diagnosed on the spot!
We have some advice on what to pack in your Go Bag – from a few athletes who have been through it on the quarantine side! They’ve shared their best advice on what to pack.
“Go Bag” – Keep these items always packed
- 14 pairs underwear and socks
- Shorts, pants/leggings or joggers, tees, and hoodies
- Fuzzy socks
- Twin XL sheets if you want your own (Miami provides two sets of sheets)
- 2 pillowcases if you want your own
- Phone and laptop charger
- Ethernet cord for the dorm room
- 2-3 towels and washcloths for the shower
- Power cord/surge protector
- Water bottle (possibly with a filter)
- Shampoo/conditioner for 2 weeks
- Cough drops and cough syrup
- Vicks vapor rub
- Body wash/soap (scrub puff)
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Hairbrush, hair ties, blowdryer, hair products
- Prescription meds
- Vitamins or medicine
- Razor and shaving cream
- Nail clippers/nail file
- Feminine products
Items to pack as you go into quarantine
- More shorts, pants/leggings, tees & hoodies
- Laptop, school books and supplies
- Pillow & blanket
Other items to consider grabbing (if you have time and space, and can carry them!):
You won’t have space to pack all of these things, but you may be able to grab a few of the following items!
- Small Keurig
- Small blender and protein shake mix
- Fan and/or air purifier
- Games, puzzles, coloring books, journal
- Mints and gum
- Peanut butter & jelly, crackers, protein bars, snacks
- TV and Xbox
Miami provides linens such as towels, sheets, and pillows, a thermometer, tissues, soap, and hand sanitizer.
Thanks to the athletes and their families who were kind enough to share this list with us! We hope it helps!