What Majoring in Communication Studies has Taught me

Communication Studies

As I wind down my third year at Miami and start scheduling classes for senior year, I am beginning to realize that there just aren’t that many classes left for me to take. I only have a few red exes on my DAR, which is exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

I am lucky that I am able to say I’ve always been a communication studies major and have remained confident in this decision throughout my time in college. I’ve learned a lot through these classes and the people I’ve gotten to know through this major. So much that I decided to write this blog post about everything that I’ve learned!

First things first. I have learned to write in APA format (insert praise hands emoji). This might seem like a small thing but you guys have no idea how long I’ve been on the struggle bus trying to figure out APA. The communication studies professors will not let you slide by when it comes to formatting your papers, which was frustrating at first but now I feel like a pro and I’m so thankful for that!

I’ve also learned how to conduct real research! The kind of stuff that has potential to be presented at a conference in front of a lot of people, which my professors have encouraged me and many of my classmates to do. I’ve never been a numbers kind of gal but I’ve learned that I don’t have to be. There are different kinds of research that don’t involve numbers at all, and even the kind that does require statistics I can now understand!

I never thought I would be the kind of person who would have a core group of friends in my classes but this major has blown away all expectations. It is small enough that I get to take almost all of my classes with at least a few familiar faces, including the professors. It is so reassuring to walk in on the first day of classes and see someone you know and can make a world of difference when it comes to class discussions and projects.

Lastly, this major has taught me a lot about myself. My freshman year when I began taking some of the entry level communication studies courses, I took a lot of personality tests and learning style tests. This seemed silly to me at the time but they really have helped me understand the way my brain works. I have been able to grow in areas of weakness and take on leadership roles more readily because I now know where my strengths lie. I have been able to strengthen relationships with people because I now know what I subconsciously expect from them and am better able to voice these expectations as well as communicate when I am hurt or upset.

All of these things that I’ve come to realize over the last few years have shaped me into the person that I am today and will play a crucial role when the job searching begins post graduation. For that, and so many other reasons, I am thankful to the communication studies major.

Be the first to comment