My “Major” Problem

Two male students work together on a technology project

Some people enroll in college having a future profession in mind, some have been waiting for this moment so that they can pursue their dream job but for me that was not the case; I had no idea. When I first came to Miami I was so overwhelmed with how many choices I had for a major that I decided not to make one. I waited to decide on my major so that I could make the best decision for my future. I wanted to experience all that college had to offer and didn’t want to restrict myself to one major right from the start.

I went into my first semester undecided, and while you would think that this would have helped me decide on a major, I spent the entire winter break avoiding the decision. I wanted to be sure that what I picked was the best decision for me.

With a few weeks until spring semester started, I made a last minute decision to be an art major. I enjoyed it at first, but it didn’t take long for me to realize that I was still unhappy. The only problem was that there was nothing else I was interested in. As the semester continued I spoke with a couple of my friends who were engineering majors. They seemed to really enjoy what they did and were happy with their choice. As interesting as that sounded, I was too scared to try and switch to something that I may be just as unhappy with.

A month before Fall semester I decided to start looking for other majors. I wanted to be happy with my choice and with my future career. I knew that major should make me excited for the future and motivate me to be my best. After looking through a few options, I found engineering and I knew right away this was what I wanted to do with my life. I signed up for a few engineering classes that fall and decided to finally take the next step and declare my major.

Male professor directing a male student how to use a program on a computer

Since then, I have realized that this is what I want to do with my life. I am a second year student and near the end of my first year in my new major. I now love my major and am very happy with my decision. I have gained many experiences and opportunities that I would otherwise not have found. I have also made new friends and met new people thanks to this choice.

For anyone who is considering a major or is too afraid to switch from where they are at now, my advice is to talk to someone. Find a friend who is in that major or a professor of that department and talk to them about what you can expect from that major. College is the time to try new things and if you are unhappy with your major, switch to something that you enjoy. There are many opportunities out there for you to try, you just have to take that first step.

Be the first to comment