Any Miami student is encouraged to apply for the Inside Washington program. There is no GPA requirement or class standing required, but typically successful applicants will have at least a 3.0 major GPA. Coursework, relevant extracurricular activities and experience and an interest in what goes on in Washington are all considered in the application process. Typically, there are about two applicants for every available spot in the spring and summer programs, so admission to the program is competitive
The window for applying to the summer program runs from the beginning of the fall semester to approximately November 1st. Decisions are made by Thanksgiving. Applications to the spring program are accepted starting at the beginning of the previous spring semester and applicants are accepted on a rolling basis. The deadline for applying to the spring program is typically mid-September.
- Visit the Miami University Study Abroad homepage.
- Search Inside Washington and complete the application. Application for the Spring 2020 program is at https://miamioh-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10169
- The application will prompt you to go to a Google Doc where you can sign up for an interview with the Inside Washington instructor and program coordinator (in the summer both roles are handled by Dr. Howard Kleiman)
- After you interview, you will hear back from the advisor as to the status of your application
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW:
- Have a basic knowledge of how the government works at the federal level
- Be very aware of current events
- Know your resume backward and forward, and be able to expand on all of the content
- Dress appropriately