FALL CSA 2020 – Week 2

Cook Field Pick-Up, Thursday September 3, 3:30-6pm

Produce this week…

• basil
  • bell peppers
  • cucumbers
  • green beans
  • kale
  • parsley
  • shallots
  • summer squash
  • tomatoes

Tentative produce list for September 10…

• cucumbers
  • onions
  • potatoes
  • spaghetti squash
  • tomatoes

Farm updates…

The Institute for Food hopes you enjoyed your first week of produce from the farm last week. Most of the green beans you receive in your share this week are reaching their mature stage, which means that the plant is ready to begin reproducing. You will notice that the inside green bean is bigger and more visible than usual. While its nutrition value and flavor are unchanged, we do recommend you cook them before eating as, if eaten raw, its consistency and taste may be starchy.

We have amazing groups of students this semester coming to the farm, and this week one of our interns will introduce herself to you.

Annie Klein

Annie Klein

“I am a senior majoring in zoology, food systems, and environmental science. This semester I am doing an internship at the Institute for Food; in these weeks I learned about a variety of vegetables and about daily operations at the farm. I love how the farm encompasses aspects of sustainability, community engagement, and nutrition! At Miami, I am vice president of People, Animals, and Welfare which is an organization that promotes animal rights and plant-based eating. Each week we will be providing a vegan recipe to be featured on the blog; we hope you enjoy them just as much as we do!”

What to do with your produce this week…

This week we decided not to focus on a specific produce or its nutritional value. Some CSA members emailed us their favorite recipes based on the produce they received at the first week of the fall season, and we thought we should share them with you, together with Annie Klein’s recipes.

Katherine Durack shared the following Italian yellow beans recipe

https://www.thecountrycook.net/italian-green-beans/

This is what Katherine Durack said: “I used tomatoes, garlic, and the yellow beans from the share. Prep differed only slightly:

• I froze the tomatoes for several hours beforehand so they could be easily peeled under running water, then chopped them (instead of using canned tomatoes)
  • I used the fresh beans, washed, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces. Knowing the beans were an Italian variety helped with finding a suitable (and interesting recipe). 

Cassie Conrad chose to use the tomatoes from the share to prepare a yummy homemade pasta sauce, adding some olives and onions to increase flavor. Cassie is a student at Miami University and this is what she wrote in her email: “I’m so glad to be living with friends in Oxford who enjoy cooking and eating fresh as much as I do. Cooking really is one of my favorite things to do”.

Pasta with fresh tomato sauce, onions and olives

Finally, here are the links to 2 plant based recipes that Annie Klein selected for us. The first recipe is perfect for a quick and healthy sandwich, the second recipe is dedicated to our beautiful and colorful bell peppers.

https://www.feastingathome.com/heirloom-tomato-and-arugula-sandwich/.

arugula and tomato sandwich

Enjoy!