Cook Field Pick-up, Thursday, June 18, 3:30-6:00pm
Produce this week…
- Baby beets
- Cut lettuce
- Garlic scapes
- Green onions
- Spigarelli (broccoli leaves)
Tentative produce list for June 25
- Carrots or beets
- Cut lettuce
- Green garlic
We are moving into dry summer and we started full scale irrigation. We have eggplants and peppers coming on and you should see them in a few weeks. We are growing three different kind of tomatoes and they are thriving in the hot weather. Dietetic interns are helping to harvest and plant. Ilaria Tabusso Marcyan, who teaches “Italian Food Cultures in Context” and works with the farm, will start helping with the blog from now on.
What to do with your produce this week by intern Caroline Kerr
- Beets are a good source of potassium and fiber. Potassium is a mineral important for function of many of the body systems. It helps to regulate blood pressure and decrease muscle cramping. Fiber rich foods are great for weight management because they help to curb overeating. Fiber also helps to stabilize blood glucose and to lower cholesterol.
- Beet’s leaves have a similar nutritional value to dark leafy greens like swiss chard and spinach.
- Some recipes with Baby Beets:
- Garlic scapes are the flower plants that garlic plants produce before the bulbs mature.
- Garlic scapes are low in calories and rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese.
- Health benefits of garlic scapes include protecting against heart disease, improving digestive health, protecting vision health, lowering blood pressure, and lowering triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Some recipes with garlic scapes: