Cook Field Pick-up, Thursday, Nov. 16, 3:30-5:30pm
Produce this week…
- Daikon radish
- Delicata squash
- Spaghetti squash
- Bok choy
- Jalapeño peppers
- Russian kale
Tentative list of produce for Nov. 21
- Green onions
- Winter squash
We just got a new batch of salsa and marinara sauce from our harvest this season. We will be selling our few remaining jars of salsa and marinara from last season at a discount. Bring cash or a check if you want to stock up. Also, Stephanie will be putting together some farm gift boxes for the holidays. We will be selling gift boxes and bee posters in Armstrong Center on Friday December 6 between 10am and 4pm in the atrium. Please spread the word.
What to do with your produce this week
From my perspective kohlrabi blends the earthiness of fall vegetables with the juicy crispness of apples. I like it peeled and sliced into matchsticks for a snack or to add to a salad. But, it can also be cooked. Here is a link from Kitchen.com that provides some alternative ways to cook kohlrabi. If you still have a butternut squash from last week, you might try the roasted kohlrabi and butternut squash.
- 4 medium kohlrabi (2 1/4 lb with greens or 1 3/4 lb without)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 lb butternut squash
- Put oven rack just below middle position and put baking pan on rack, then preheat oven to 450°F. (If roasting vegetables along with turkey, preheat pan for 15 minutes while turkey roasts, then roast vegetables underneath turkey.)
- Trim and peel kohlrabi, then cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Toss kohlrabi with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Transfer kohlrabi to preheated pan in oven and roast 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel butternut squash, then quarter lengthwise, seed, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Toss squash with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in same bowl.
- Stir kohlrabi, turning it, then push it to one side of pan.
- Add squash to opposite side of pan and roast, stirring and turning squash over halfway through roasting, until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes total (after squash is added).
Toss vegetables to combine and transfer to a dish.