Cook Field Pick-up, Thursday, Oct. 31, 3:30-5:30pm
Produce this week…
- Leaf Broccoli
- Spaghetti squash
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Sunflower heads (birds)
- Winter squash (misc.)
Tentative produce list for November 7…
- Butternut squash
We are expecting a killing freeze tonight and into the weekend. The farm staff will be covering beds with row cover to protect produce not yet harvested. The change in weather is a signal that the end of the season is coming. We will still have things like kale, spinach, green onions, winter squash and potatoes in our final weeks of the CSA. But, be aware that as the weather changes, the list of produce each week could change dramatically.
Also, you may have started thinking about Thanksgiving. We will have an on farm pick up on Monday, November 25 from 3:30 to 5:30pm. This is tentatively the second to last CSA pick up of the season. For these final pick ups we will be offering all the produce that is still available.
What to do with your produce this week…
Roasted beets and radishes with goat cheese
- 3 cups beets, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups radishes, sliced (save the leaves)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped radish leaves, plus more for topping
- 2 ounces goat cheese, plus more for topping
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the beets with the olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Toss the radishes in the same medium-sized bowl with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- After the beets have cooked for 20 minutes, add the radishes to the baking sheet. Stir well to coat with olive oil and incorporate with the beets.
- Roast for an additional 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spritz the vegetables with lime juice and vinegar. Then add the cilantro and radish leaves. Stir.
- Transfer the vegetables into the medium-sized bowl, add the goat cheese and stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with additional leaves and goat cheese.