New Pick Up Time: 3:30-6:00pm, Thursday, September 17
To make the Fall CSA pick up more user-friendly, we have decided to expand the pick up time. We will start pick up tomorrow at 3:30 and go until our regular ending time at 6:00pm.
Produce this Week:
- Acorn Squash
Self select items: We still have a few tomatoes, so these will be available for self select in limited amounts. In addition, we will also have peppers and kale.
Tentative for the next week:
- Hybrid Leafy Asian Greens
Here is an over the top suggestion for the acorn squash. You can also check out this Martha Stewart acorn squash extravaganza
- 3 Acorn Squash, halved
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Large Celery Stalks, finely chopped
- 2 Apples, diced
- ½ tsp sage
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Parmasean Cheese, divide
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife cut off each end of the acorn squash removing as little as possible, then cut in half.
- Spoon out seeds.
- Brush olive oil inside and on top of Acorn Squash.
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over Acorn Squash to taste.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour depending on size of your squash until tender and you can pierce with a fork, but still holding it’s shape.
- While the squash is baking begin sautéing the sausage for about 5 minutes, drain and pat dry with a paper towel to remove as much grease as possible, but don’t discard grease in the pan.
- Using the grease from the sausage add your onions and celery to the pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until it starts to brown. (add olive oil if necessary)
- Add apples and sauté for another 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in sage and bread crumbs.
- Add ¾ cup parmesan cheese and stir until cheese begins to melt. Set aside.
- Once squash has finished baking and reached desired tenderness spoon in meat mixture until the squash is filled.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes depending on size of squash.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese.