Fall CSA–Week One

Fall CSA–First Pick Up

Thursday, August 30, 4:00-6:00pm, Cook Field Parking Lot

WELCOME….

Note:  We are switching to reusable bags for pick up.  Please bring a reusable bag to collect your produce for the week.  (We will have backup bags).

Produce this week:

• Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Kale/Swish Chard
  • Garlic
  • Tomatoes
  • Cutting celery

Self-Select Items:  tomatoes (multiple varieties), sweet peppers, eggplant

Tentative produce list for next week:

• Watermelon
  • Beets
  • Peppers
  • Basil

A note from Ian….

My name is Ian Privitera, and I have been working on the IF Farm for a little over a year now. My background is in Sustainable Agriculture Management, and I actually studied under Charles (the farm manager) at Cincinnati State before getting my job here at Miami. I am a big fan of all things food, I grew up with a family of avid cooks, I love cooking myself, and I like to eat everything! Or at least try it! My philosophy around food is that we should all eat as locally and seasonally as possible, as much as possible! The further away your food comes from, the more resources it takes to get to you, and local growers need your support! You can get a great variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, milk, eggs, cheese, etc. almost all year round from local producers nearby, and you will end up trying many things you’ve never had before! Some of the best quality foods you can get will come from smaller producers who put time and care into everything they make (unlike large scale food producers) and I think its quite fun and enjoyable to search around for the best! On the IF farm, Charles, Stephanie, and I will do our best to make sure all of you have an excellent experience with the CSA, and if there is anything you need, questions you have, or anything you want to tell us please let us know! Also you are all welcome to come to the farm any time we are there (mostly Mon thru Thurs 10 AM to 3 PM)- you can volunteer and help us out, bring your compost, or just come to say hi and have a look around! Feel free to contact me on my cell phone, I don’t mind! I look forward to seeing you all at the drop off this Fall, and remember- every single bite of food you eat has to be grown, raised, or produced by someone somewhere!

Recipe Suggestion (one of my favorites)…

Provençal Potato Pizza (Fields of Greens by Annie Somerville)

Ingredients:

• Pizza dough
  • 1/2 pound potatoes
  • 2 cloves minced garlic soaked in 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced
  • 1 ounce Parmsesan cheese, grated, about  1/3 cup
  • 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, grated about 2 1/4 cup
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:

Prepare pizza dough.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice the potatoes, toss them with garlic oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast them on a baking sheet for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender and a little crisp.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Roll out the dough and place it on a lightly oiled pizza pan; brush with garlic oil. Spread the onion  on the dough and follow with potatoes, then sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside a little parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the baked pizza and toss the rest with the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle cheese on pizza/

Bake pizza for 8 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden and crisp.  remove from oven and sprinkle with set aside parmesan and fresh sage.