CSA Week 10!

F0318 Institute for Food WST 341 Class Building Green House

Happy week 10 of the CSA! I am getting really excited for Turkey Day which seems right around the corner so I was a little inspired in some of the recipes for this week *cough cough* check out the dessert this week. We hope to see you all Thursday from 3:30-5:30 at Cook Field for the pickup and dropping off of last week’s boxes. Now grab a cup of hot chocolate as you read this wonderful blog about creative and cool things to do with vegetables!

Half Share and Full Share Crops (Full shares have larger portions and also free-for-all at the pickup site)

• Broccoli
  • Turnips
  • Radishes
  • Swiss Chard
  • Kale
  • Lettuce

Onto the recipes! For any that may peak your interest, follow this link!

https://www.pinterest.com/instituteforfood/csa-week-10/

Breakfast 

Broccoli, Sausage, and Egg Radish Hash or Broccoli Cheddar Breakfast Quesadilla

I feel like I truly broke the status quo of what foods should be eaten when this week. Who the heck eats broccoli for breakfast?!? I do is the answer. As of a couple of days ago when I was told that we were harvesting broccoli and I could not think of any lunch or dinner ideas that made me happy. Too bad I could not find a dessert haha that would’ve been weird. But whether it is a late start to the morning and you decide to go all out for brunch or you are rushing to catch the bus, these two recipes have your back. The ingredients for the hash can be reused in the quesadilla so prep a little extra to freeze and use in a quesadilla. Also these recipes call for potatoes, but I encourage you to use radishes! Lower carbs 🙂

Lunch 

Salmon Street Tacos topped with Radishes and Avocado Crema; side of Salata od Rotkvica (radish salad)

or the classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup (But add Radishes)

I LOVE STREET TACOS! Ever since going to the PNW (Pacific Northwest) I can not get enough of artisan street tacos. The fish there is unbelievable, it is on the level of freshness that the vegetables you all receive from our farms are on. That fresh. Its great. Buy a plane ticket. Go to Seattle. Just for some fish. Anywho, this street taco is actually incredibly easy to make and delicious! The crema you can use greek yogurt too if you want to avoid calories. And if you have read any of the previous blog posts you have probably seen that I have a preference for anything Balkan so when I stumbled upon the radish salad recipe I had to throw it up here. And its a little language lesson!

Dinner

Mason Jar Cornbread Bean Burger with Kale

Broccoli for breakfast, Croatian for lunch, and mason jar burgers for dinner? Maybe I’m just sleep deprived, but I find this layout to be hilarious hahaha I hope you can bask in the same chuckles I am currently displaying as I write this. But this mason jar recipe looks awesome! And some sautéed kale underneath a yummy bean burger… and with cornbread buns?!? How could a Friday night get any better. Toss in some turnip fries too on the side! Here is a link 🙂 http://allrecipes.com/recipe/163062/crispy-turnip-fries/

Dessert

Turnip Puff

I told you that I was traversing new territory this week, and maybe some of you have seen this before, but I would never in my existence thought to make a dessert puff out of turnips!!! The creativity in the world nowadays continues to astound me. I am hoping to make this in the near future, but if you get to it first, let me know if you truly can make a root into a dessert. That would be so cool!

Alas we come to the end of our journey together this week, but until next time!

Happy and Healthy Eating,
Kristine