CSA Week 8 Pickup!

Hello one and all, welcome to week 8 of CSA handout with all this glorious rain and possible snow. Who thought autumn could so rapidly switch to winter? Typical Ohio weather I suppose! Come visit us Thursday, October 26th from 3:30-5:30 pm at Cook field for pickup. Then rush home and make a cup of warm apple cider sitting next to a fire.

https://www.pinterest.com/instituteforfood/csa-week-8/

For this week, we have some delicious veggies for each of you!

Full and Half Share (differs in amount distributed)

• Radishes
  • Turnips
  • Beets
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • Kale
  • Onions
  • Parsley

Breakfast

Kale and Banana Muffins

This recipe reminds me of Dr. Suess’ Green Eggs and Ham children’s book. But who wouldn’t want to eat green muffins?!? The banana is such a strong taste and remains throughout the cooking process that it can very nicely compliment the taste of kale.

Egg and Kale Bowl with Red Salsa and Feta toppings

Another alternative with this recipe is that you can use marina sauce if you do not have salsa. But go crazy with your cook on the egg. Try a poached egg if you are feeling really risky! But an over easy or simply scrambled would be lovely as well ­čÖé

Lunch 

Stuffed Chinese Cabbage Rolls

My Croatian grandmother makes these for us in bulk whenever she is feeling particularly loving and although we call them sarma they are one of my favorite foods in the entire world. Especially with this chilly week we have had stuffed cabbage comes steaming out of the pot and is hearty with a side of fresh bread to top it off.

Beet Pesto Pizza with Kale and Goat Cheese

If you are dubious about the cabbage rolls, I would be haha they are kind of funky looking, how can you go wrong with pizza? With the beets the size that they have been, this entire pizza could be filled with just one beet! I also love the different colors that go into this dish. The bright magenta, the dark green, and the crisp white on top the neutral blonde of the pizza crust; worthy of a Picasso painting!

Dinner

Beet Burger with Sweet Potato Fries & Avocado with Sides of Radish, Cucumber, and Apple Slaw & Turnip Mash

Sweet potato fries on top of a veggie burger?!? Nuff’ said. I know that this is a bit of a summer sounding recipe, but maybe just turn the heat up, put on a tank top, and pretend for a short time that we still had 90 degree weather.

Snack

Turnip Chips

I made veggie chips with the beets the other days and the key to getting the salty taste to stick is letting the chips sit in the oil and salt for about 15 minutes so that the veggies can naturally absorb the juices and store them inside.

For those CSA members who were talking about pickled eggs with beet juice, here is the link to the recipe!

http://theediblejourney.blogspot.com/2010/06/pickled-purple-eggs.html

Well that is all that I have for this week, I hope that you all have enjoyed the recipes for this week. Tell me how any of the past recipes have turned out if you have given any a shot! Also let me know if there are any favorite recipes that you know of! I love to talk about food!

Happy healthy eating!

Kristine