CSA Pickup Week 6!

Come say hello to us and grab your crops this Thursday, October 12th, from 3:30 – 5:30 pm!

Items for this week!

• Green Beans
  • Turnips
  • Bok choi
  • Radishes
  • Kale
  • Greens mix
  • Garlic

Fall is slowly creeping over the horizon and with it means big fluffy sweaters, busting out the jackets and hoodies from the closet, grabbing a warm blanket and eating the harvest! This week I tried to pick some fall inspired foods and delicious dishes that would fuel you and the family up for the weeks of leaf raking, pumpkin carving, trick or treating, and apple harvesting ahead. I hope you all enjoy and happy autumn!

https://www.pinterest.com/instituteforfood/csa-week-6/

Breakfast

Radish, Sausage, and Fried Egg Bowl

So this recipe reminds me of one of my favorite foods to eat at home in this little hole in the wall called Jimmy’s. We would go there and order THE BOMB after running marathons and cross country races because this meal is the perfect antidote for sore muscles, starving souls, and voracious appetites. You can also eat it if you are only moderately hungry and keep leftovers haha but I tend to be on the starved side : ) Anyways the radishes with their bitter taste compliment the sausage (especially if it is maple sausage). The radishes act as potatoes in this recipe, but you can also add in potatoes to make it twice as hearty.

Lunch

Granny Smith, Pecan, Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Salad

As I have mentioned in previous blog posts I am a meat lover so it is to no surprise that I add chicken into even the healthiest foods such as salads, alas here we are… a delicious salad to support your productivity in the day ahead! I made this vinaigrette the other day and the only suggestion that I have is to be start off small with the mustard and add moderately from there.

Kale, Turnip, and Turkey Sausage Soup

If you want to, you can use up any leftover ground sausage that you have from the breakfast meal too to save a couple of dollars at Kroger. But this soup was lovely to carry around in my thermos on the rainy cold days we have had the past week. It definitely beat out eating a PB&J packed in my lunchbox : )

Dinner

Apple, Bacon, and Brie Burger with Sides of Almond Green Beans and Baked Spicy Oregano Turnip Fries

If anyone decides to make this entire dinner you should invite all of the farm workers to come be taste testers because this meal makes my mouth water! Fruit with brie cheese is a beautiful pair because the brie adopts the taste of whatever it is with. In this case, the tart apples will be amplified by their natural sweetness being kicked into high speed by the brie cheese. Almond green beans are one of my favorites because you can just snack on them after dinner and still feel fancy. I have not had a chance to make the turnip fries but I can only imagine they two will be delicious.

Snacks

Autumnal Fruit Salad

Take your favorite maple syrup flavor and make the dressing for this wonderful fruit salad that can compliment any of the above recipes or even just be a small snack that you hid in the fridge from everyone else so they can’t see what awesome food you are eating : ) Sharing is caring! Give someone else your fruit salad and enjoy the bliss of happy tummies together. I included this recipe to use up some of the ingredients, granny smiths, from the above recipes but you will have to get the rest of the ingredients from Kroger, the farmers’ market, or Moon Co-op!

Well friends that is all for this week. Remember to enjoy the little things in life and go on a walk in nature this weekend! Hueston woods, there is a gorge in Dayton called Clifton gorge, or Red River Gorge! See the beautiful leaves change color and spread love and joy : )

Happy Healthy Eating!

Kristine