Fall CSA Pickup 4

We look forward to seeing all of you at Cook Field Pavilion

Thursday, September 28th from 3:30-5:30 pm

Half Share

• Tomatoes
  • Braising mix
  • Radishes
  • Garlic
  • Parsley
  • Winter squash
  • Head lettuce
  • Italian flat green beans

Full Share

• All of the above +
  • Cut lettuce
  • Summer squash
  • Peppers

Hello Everyone!

My name is Kristine and I am the newest intern on the farm. As I am learning about greenhouse construction, the proper way to plant onions, and all the crazy attachments that can go onto a tractor, I am also cooking some recipes at home with the items that you all receive in your cropbox each week! I have always had a fascination with nutrition and healthy eating. I think healthy eating and cooking with your family, and seeing the final product, create amazing memories, and happy tummies 🙂 As a biology, anthropology, and premedical student at Miami, the farm is the perfect place for me to see how crops can tie a community together through good food, health, and happiness!

So enough mumbling from me, this week I have a couple of recipe ideas that you can easily Google or look up on Pinterest if you find inspiration from the following descriptions and images. Please enjoy!

Breakfast

Butternut Squash Pancakes

*I made these this weekend and it was a hit throughout my entire house, each person customized their pancakes as well so this would be a great recipe to do with the kids on a Sunday morning! Some ideas for personalization: rosehip jam, brown sugar, M&Ms, mini choco chips, or simply some Coolwhip and fresh berries!

Eggs with Zucchini, garlic, peppers, tomato, onion, and Fresh ciabatta

*For this recipe, I like to do scrambled eggs, but you can make a casserole too, and then just throw in any extra produce that I have in my fridge. It makes the eggs more filling and helps get over the texture that can sometimes be off-putting for non-egg eaters. For the veggies, cut them any way you wish and then sauté in a pan with olive oil and garlic. To make the veggies taste even better, throw in a little of your favorite spice. I tend to use Mrs. Dash spice combos. Serve it with a fresh ciabatta that is lightly toasted, and then light butter.

Lunch

Radish, Corn, & Jalapeño Salad

*As we come towards the end of summer, any last remnants of those hot sunny days that are reflected in food help me get through the long days of classes and work. This salad is really refreshing and can easily be eaten with some fresh bread or even your favorite type of crackers to make it more filling. Also homemade hummus with homemade baked pita chips is a lovely compliment to this salad.

Snack

Honey Roasted Cayenne Pepper and Paprika Butternut Squash Seeds

*For those of you who hate throwing anything away, I feel the same way. Which is why I experimented with the seeds inside my butternut squash! Take the seeds and rinse them off, let them dry, and cook them in the oven with your favorite spice combination. I did mine with honey, cayenne pepper, and paprika, and then threw them in my lunchbox with some dried fruits for a nice little trailmix to snack on when I started feeling sleepy during the day. The spice really kicks you awake! Some other options are cinnamon sugar butter for those of you with a sweet tooth, or even simply sea salt and cracked black pepper for the classic lover!

Dinner

Butternut Squash Mash with Goat Cheese and Rosemary

*Need I say any more? It is such a simple yet eloquent side dish that I think every kid eating microwave macaroni and cheese was running to our doorstep to see what smelled so good. My parents in Cleveland were asking me to package them some and send it!

Green Beans with Lemon Pepper Oil 

*Take those Italian green beans, steam them, toss them with the garlic, oregano, chili powder, and lemon juice, all in olive oil, to make a delightful and savory side dish. Finish it off by finely chopping some of the peppers, or fire roast some of the tomatoes to give it an extra kick.

Apple and Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash

*For the main event! Take the butternut squash cook it until tender, cut it in half, scoop out the meat, and save it! In a skillet combine sausage and apples along with all the delicious spices the recipe calls for, and add it into the rind of the butternut squash for a serving dish that also has the added benefit of being an innovative twist on typical dinner. The kids will love it, guests will think that you are a genius, or you can just have a happy smile for yourself at a job well done. You can use the meat of the squash to add back in to the apple sausage mixture, or use half for that and half for the mash! The options are endless.

Canning

*FYI you can CAN radishes for the long winter ahead. The canning process definitely pays off when it is pouring snow and you want to whip out some produce that reminds you of a wonderful salad you had in the sun. You can also make a roasted pepper relish that can be canned for a very long time if you have a bunch of peppers left over from the past weeks and have no idea what to do with them. I love making relish to put on my turkey sandwiches so that my tastebuds are happy.

That is all for this week, I hope you all enjoy the recipes and find some inspiration! See you all at pickup! Bon appetit!