We hope your enjoyed your first week of the Fall CSA. We are preparing for pick up number two this Thursday September 14 at the Cook Field Pavilion, 3:30-5:30pm. Please don’t forget to return your boxes from last week so that we can get them back into circulation.
Here is the list of Veggies for the week:
Half Share Box will include:
- Roma & heirloom tomatoes
- Braising Mix (Swiss Chard, Spinach, Kale)
- Swish Chard
Full Share Box will include:
- All of the above plus…
- Head lettuce
- Items for selection–cucumbers & summer squash
We will be including some unripe heirloom tomatoes for you to ripen at home. It will take a week or two for these tomatoes to fully ripen, but the flavor will be excellent if you have the patience. This saves them from cracking on the vine. If you can’t wait, try fried green tomatoes!
Recipe for the week: Braised Greens
Stephanie suggests serving over rice with roasted or sautéed chicken breasts. If you have any cherry tomatoes left over, she suggested quartering and adding as a final garnish.
- 12 ounces assorted greens, like kale, collard, Swiss chard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup no-salt-added chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine (or dry sherry)
- ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Wash the greens and remove tough stems. Cut or break greens into 2-inch lengths.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high, add the oil and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the greens, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock, Sherry and hot pepper flakes; cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until greens are soft.