IF Farm CSA Pickup 11 for Wednesday August 9th
3:30-5:30 @ Cook Field
This week’s box will include:
- Tomatoes (slicers)
- Tomatoes (cherry)
- Bell Peppers (perfect purple)
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Chard (bright light)
- Cabbage or Green beans (depending on the quality of harvest)
Recent storms and flooding have been taking their toll on the farm, which is why there are only 6-7 items in the box this week. Our apologies, we are doing our best to stay one step ahead of what the weather might bring.
Reminder—Farm Volunteer Day Saturday, August 12 starting at 10am
We are hosting a farm harvest volunteer day Saturday, August 12 starting at 10am.
Here is the link with directions to the farm (just in case) http://miamioh.edu/cas/academics/centers/iff/our-farm/directions/index.html
Please feel free to bring family members or friends. If you have questions contact Ian Privitera at email@example.com. Thanks in advance for your help.
Recipes for the Week
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with oil. Toss together all the ingredients. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Grilled Veggie Skewers (6 skewers)
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 purple bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1-inch disks
- 8 finglerling potatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
6 wooden skewers
After cleaning and cutting the veggies, boil a pot of water. While the water is coming to a bowl, mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl until blended. When water is boiling add the halved potatoes and carrots and cook until just tender (approximately 10 minutes). Drain.
Add the cooked potatoes, carrots, and other veggies to the vinaigrette mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes or more (up to 8 hours). Soak the wooden skewers in water in preparation for grilling. Heat the grill to medium heat. Thread the veggies onto the skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the skewers on the grill and cook 5-7 minutes per side, or until tender.