IF Third CSA Pickup

We Look Forward to Seeing You

Wednesday June 14th 3:3o-5:30 pm

This week’s box will include:

– Red Russian kale
– Broccoli
– Bunched bib lettuce
– Loose leaf lettuce
– Cilantro
– Easter Egg Radish
– Turnips
– Garlic scapes
– Green garlic

Garlic scapes can be used raw in salads and can also be used to cook as you would with normal garlic. If you like garlic flavor, scapes are an excellent addition to omelets or any cooked greens. The green garlic cloves have a much more mild flavor than their more developed counterparts; however, they are equally delicious. I have also included a breakfast casserole recipe that my family loves. It is a great way to work kale into your breakfast if you don’t drink smoothies.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/sausage-kale-strata-2774459

As the summer gets underway, I would like to introduce myself and my fellow interns to you in the following weeks! My name is Olivia Herron and I am a second year Strategic Communication and Food Studies major. The food studies major is a new program being designed by the Institute for Food and is directly connected to the work being done on the farm.  I was raised in Greenville, Ohio which is a very agricultural area and my grandparents are farmers. Seeing the impact of conventional agriculture on the health of my friends and family has sparked my interest in food policy. I hope working on the farm this summer will provide me with first hand experience, regarding how food policies impact small scale agriculture, which I can apply to my future endeavors.

I also wanted to take the time to apologize for the overabundance of cut loose lettuce in everyone’s boxes last week. We are working to understand how much of each produce is appropriate per member so please bare with us as we work out some kinks.

Here are some great recipes for your green garlic and scapes from our friend Aisha.

Green Garlic Salad Dressing

Ingredients

2 green garlic stalks

1⁄2 cups olive oil

1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar

1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt

1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard

1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Trim and mince the green garlic stalks and include as much of the green stalk as possible.

Mix the minced green garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, mustard, and pepper in a small mixing bowl or

glass jar. Whisk together or cover jar and shake vigorously to combine.

Use the dressing within an hour or two.

Keep the dressing covered and chilled up to three days; be sure to bring it up to room

temperature before using it (the olive oil should be fully fluid).

NOTE

This dressing will pair nicely with a mixed salad including the bib lettuce and loose leaf lettuce.

Feel free to add some slices of the raw radish as well.

White bean and garlic scapes dip

Yields: 1.5 cups

Ingredients

1 (15.5 oz) can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1/3 cup sliced garlic scapes (from about 3-4 scapes)

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1⁄2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Additional lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)

Additional sliced garlic scapes for serving (optional)

Flatbread triangles (optional)

Directions

Add white beans, garlic scapes, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor.

Process to combine.

With motor running, slowly add in olive oil. Continue to process until combined and mixture has

the texture of a rough puree (similar to hummus).

Season with additional lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, blending to

combine.

Spoon dip into a serving bowl or plate, top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and additional

sliced garlic scapes, if desired.

Serves well with flatbread.