(Student Handbook 6.4)
An individual registering a vehicle is responsible for all citations issued to that vehicle regardless of ownership. Individuals who lend their vehicles to others are responsible for any parking fines incurred.
Unregistered Vehicle: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.A)
Failing to register a vehicle parked in permitted areas. A permit is required to park in University parking areas (see Section 6.2.A Permit Required).
Vehicles that are not registered may also be charged an administrative fee of $2.50 to look up ownership of the vehicle in order to collect fines.
Unregistered vehicle is a Permit Violation.
No Permit Displayed: Fine $35(Student Handbook 6.4.B)
Improperly displaying a University parking permit. All information on the permit must be visible from outside the vehicle. Decal permits must be permanently affixed to the inside surface of the windshield at the lower corner of the driver’s side. Hangtag permits must be displayed on the rearview mirror inside the vehicle permit. Card permits must be displayed inside the front windshield.
Improper Display of a Permit is a Permit Violation.
Restricted Area: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.C)
Parking in areas beyond the privileges granted by your permit or parking in violation of posted event parking restrictions. Between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, vehicles must park only in the areas specified by their permit.
University events sometimes require the exclusive use of parking areas. These areas will be posted at least 72 hours in advance of the event. Cars parked in these areas after the time specified will be cited. All cars must be removed from all sections of the Millett parking lot on the dates of all home football games.
Restricted Area is a Permit Violation.
Reproduction or Illegal Use of Permit: Fine $300 (Student Handbook 6.4.D)
Any of the following is a violation:
- Reproduction of a permit
- Altering a permit
- Displaying a permit that has been revoked
- Displaying a permit reported lost or stolen
- Transferring a student permit to another vehicle without authorization
- Displaying a permit issued to or designated for issue to a visitor, faculty or staff member, or graduate assistant
Reproduction or Illegal Use of Permit is a Permit Violation.
Overtime at Meter: Fine $10 (Student Handbook 6.4.E)
Parking at a meter that indicates time has expired or failure to pay for time parked in a space or facility requiring a fee is an overtime parking violation.
Vehicles may park in spaces controlled by meters when the meter display indicates time remaining. No parking permit is required. Unless otherwise posted, meter fees must be paid when parking between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., seven days a week, except when the University is officially closed. This applies only to parking meter fees; all other parking and permit restrictions are in effect at all times.
University parking facilities that require a fee for use by the hour or by the event require payment at all times. Failure to pay for time parked in a facility that requires a fee is a violation.
Overtime at Meter is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Overtime in a Timed Zone: Fine $25 (Student Handbook 6.4.F)
Exceeding time limits as posted.
Overtime in a Timed Zone is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Parking Where Signs Prohibit: Fine $75(Student Handbook 6.4.G)
Parking where signs prohibit parking, standing, or stopping.
No parking is permitted in the Campus Avenue Garage (south) or Academic Parking Structure (north) garages between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. daily.
Parking Where Signs Prohibit is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Outside Designated Space: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.H)
More than one vehicle in one designated space, parking in two or more spaces, or creating a space where none exists.
Outside Designated Space is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Parking in Loading Zone/Service Drive: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.I)
Parking in loading or service areas where signs prohibit parking.
Parking in Loading Zone/Service Drive is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Yellow Zone: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.J)
Parking or standing in a posted “No Parking” or “Yellow” area.
Yellow Zone is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Parking on Sidewalk or Grass: Fine $75 (Student Handbook 6.4.K)
Parking on Sidewalk or Grass is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Handicap Parking Violation: Fine $250 (Student Handbook 6.4.L)
A vehicle parked within a marked disability parking space must display a valid state-issued disability placard and a Miami University parking permit when parked on campus.
Failure to display a valid state-issued disability placard is a Parking/Standing Violation.
Immobilization/Impoundment: Fine $200 (Student Handbook 6.4.M)
A vehicle may be immobilized/impounded under these conditions:
- Any combination of five violations beginning July 1 each year even if all fines have been paid, and the vehicle is parked in violation at time of immobilization.
- Any combination of five violations beginning July 1 each year and the fines are unpaid, even if the vehicle is not in violation at the time of the immobilization.
- A violation of 6.4.D Reproduction or Illegal Use of Permit and parked in violation at time of immobilization.
- Unauthorized removal or damage of an immobilization device. The car is subject to immobilization or impoundment until the device is accounted for or recovered.
- After 10 days of immobilization, or less if deemed a safety hazard by University Police, a vehicle will be towed and stored at the owner’s expense. Immobilization fees must be paid prior to release of an impounded vehicle. The vehicle owner must pay the towing contractor directly for all fees associated with towing and storage.
This Immobilization/Impoundment fine must be paid by check made payable to Miami University or credit card prior to the release of the vehicle. This fee cannot be charged to a student’s Bursar account or payroll deducted.
Students may be referred to the Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution and faculty and staff members may be referred to the appropriate personnel office for repeated violations.
Multiple Violations (Student Handbook 6.4.N)
- A vehicle may receive a Permit Violation and a Parking/Standing Violation in the same instance.
- Vehicles that remain parked in violation at the same location for more than three hours after being cited may be cited again.
- Vehicles moved to another location after being cited may be cited immediately if parked in violation.
Warning Citation (Student Handbook 6.4.O)
Parking enforcement staff may issue one warning citation for a registration violation per license plate per year (July 1 – June 30). Warning citations will not be counted toward citation totals for immobilization. A warning will not be issued for the following violations:
- Reproduction or illegal use of a permit (6.4.D)
- Immobilization/Impoundment (6.4.M)
- Special events (6.2.G.1)
Payment of Fines (Student Handbook 6.4.N)
Fines may be paid by (1) a charge through the Bursar [other than fines for Immobilization/Impoundment], (2) check made payable to Miami University [include the citation number on the check to ensure proper credit], or (3) valid credit card. Payment may be sent to Miami University, Office of Parking and Transportation Services, MSC 1094, 301 South Campus Avenue, Campus Avenue Building, Room 128, Oxford, Ohio, 45056 or may be made online through the parking services.