(Student Handbook 5.10)
Grievance shall be defined as a perceived injustice affecting an individual or group as a result of some action of official capacity by an editor of The Miami Student or Recensio, or other publications approved by Student Affairs Council.
Steps to Be Taken to Resolve Grievances
(Note: any reference to class days in this manual includes exam week)
- Individuals or groups shall notify the appropriate editor in writing of the specific grievance, with suggestions for action that the complainant deems appropriate. The editor will respond in writing to the complainant within three class days.
- If the grievance is not resolved, the complainant may, within three class days after receiving the response from the editor, submit his or her case in writing to the chair of the Committee on Student Media Organizations, together with the editor’s written response and all other correspondence.
- The chair of the Committee on Student Media Organizations will notify all Committee members of the matter and will place it on the agenda of a meeting to be held within ten class days of receipt of the complaint. Appropriate action will be determined by the usual voting procedure of the Committee.
- Should the Committee determine that a hearing is not warranted, the chair will notify the appropriate parties in writing within three class days.
- Should the Committee decide to schedule a hearing, the chair of the Committee on Student Media Organizations will arrange the time and place of the hearing with the complainant and the editor, such hearing to be held within ten class days. During the hearing, the complainant will be allowed ten minutes to state his or her grievance, present supporting evidence, and suggest desired action. The editor will then be allowed ten minutes to reply. Each may then be questioned by members of the Committee on Student Media Organizations, after which the complainant and the editor will leave the hearing. Members of the Committee will then consider the matter and decide upon an appropriate action.
- The chair of the Committee on Student Media Organizations will, within three class days, give written notice of the Committee’s decision to the complainant, the editor, and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Either the editor or the complainant may appeal the decision of the Committee to the Student Affairs Council, such appeal to be made within three class days after receiving the notice from the chair of the Committee on Student Media Organizations.