(MUPIM 4.2/OAC 3339-4-02)
General (MUPIM 4.2.A)
As a professional, each member of the instructional staff assumes a commitment to meet all scheduled classes and to discharge the other responsibilities of teaching, advising, research, service, and administration associated with membership in a university community. Administrative staff members have an obligation to ensure the progress of the educational program of the University. An individual who expects to be absent should obtain advance permission from the department chair or other supervisor and assist in making arrangements for proper coverage of duties. Whenever it is not possible to perform regular duties, this fact shall be reported to the chair or supervisor as soon as possible.
The purpose of the vacation benefit is to provide time away from work for rest, recreation, and renewal; the University, therefore, expects its unclassified administrative staff to use vacation time each year for such purposes. It is also recognized, however, that it may not always be possible for an individual to use his or her full complement of vacation days within a given contract year; for this reason, while accumulation of vacation time is discouraged, it is permitted within the limits set forth below.
Vacation (MUPIM 4.2.B)
- Fulltime administrative staff with a 12-, 11-, or 10-month appointment earn vacation. Part-time administrative staff (less than forty  hours per week) do not earn vacation.
In lieu of vacation, faculty are not required to work during the University break periods that fall within the term of their academic-year appointment (Fall Three Day, Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks). Faculty who choose to work may not use these days at any other time nor are they entitled to accrue or cash out any unused days.
In lieu of vacation, coaches, trainers, and equipment managers are entitled to twenty-two (22) noncontract days per fiscal year as approved by their supervisor. Coaches, trainers, and equipment managers are not entitled to accrue or carry over unused noncontract days beyond the term of their annual appointment, nor are they entitled to cash out any unused noncontract days.
- The following governs the accrual and use of vacation by 12-, 11-, and 10-month fulltime administrative staff:
- Fulltime administrative staff on a 12-, 11-, or 10-month contract earn vacation in equal monthly increments.
- Administrative staff employed 12 months fulltime earn a maximum of 22 days per fiscal year.
- Administrative staff employed 11 months fulltime earn a maximum of 20 days per fiscal year.
- Administrative staff employed 10 months fulltime earn a maximum of 18 days per fiscal year.
Administrative staff governed by this policy, who begin work (as reflected by the payroll) before the 16th day of any month, will earn the full vacation accrual for that month. Administrative staff whose last day of work is before the 16th of any month will not earn vacation for that month. Vacation days do not accrue during a leave of absence without pay.