Nu Rho Psi Gamma of Ohio offers two types of membership: National Membership and Local Membership (“Friends of Nu Rho Psi”).
Eligibility: National Membership is is open to those who have demonstrated superior academic achievement in general scholarship and neuroscience and who possess high standards of personal behavior and who meet the following criteria as determined by the National Committee. There is a one-time induction fee ($40.00 for students; $50.00 for faculty) for life-time membership which includes an induction ceremony and dinner, award certificates, and pin. We hold formal inductions once a year in the winter.
• In at least the 3rd semester of the college curriculum
• minor in neuroscience
• at least nine semester hours in courses contributing to the minor in neuroscience
• minimum overall grade point average of 3.2
• minimum grade point average of 3.5 in neuroscience courses
• registered in a program that has a neuroscience emphasis
• completed at least nine semester hours in courses in neuroscience
• minimum overall grade point average of 3.5 in all graduate courses
• minimum grade point average of 3.5 in neuroscience-related courses
• teach and do research in the area of neuroscience
Benefits: The first and foremost benefit of Nu Rho Psi membership is the honor and recognition of academic excellence. It is an honor that graduate schools recognize. The society offers travel awards to undergraduate members who wish to attend the Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience (FUN) and Society for Neuroscience Annual Meetings. As the Society transitions to a regional structure over the next few years, there will be regional and national meetings where neuroscientists from around the country will gather to share scientific findings. News and information is available to members via the Nu Rho Psi online newsletter.
Due to the rigorous nature of the National Membership eligibility, Miami’s chapter also welcomes any and all students who are interested in Neuroscience, our “Friends of Nu Rho Psi.” This options allows students to participate in our club who do not meet the National requirements at this time, as is the case for many freshmen and sophomores. Any Friend of Nu Rho Psi may be inducted into the National organization once they are eligible. The only requirement is small local dues and a curiosity and passion for Neuroscience!